Illawarra women's housing justice project
Access to safe and secure housing is a basic human right.
The Illawarra women’s housing justice project is a partnership of three Illawarra community service providers whose overarching goal is to keep women out of custody. It aims to support women who are at risk of incarceration as well as those leaving prison, by providing them with intermediate safe housing and case managed community-based support services.
Eligibility for this program is made upon the following considerations, participants:
- Identify as a women
- Are voluntarily seeking support
- Are in contact with the criminal justice system and/or are at risk of incarceration
- Are at risk of homelessness or unsafe housing
- Wish to live in the Wollongong CBD
The Housing is located in the Wollongong CBD area. Units consist of either one or two bedrooms and are fully furnished, with linen and kitchen utensils. Participants will be eligible for a short-term tenancy with the Illawarra Housing Trust. The Housing Trust is a local not-for-profit community-based organisation that provides safe, secure, comfortable and affordable rental housing.
Support through a case management model will also be provided by Women Illawarra or another organisation. The caseworker will offer specialist holistic support including:
- Collaboratively working with the client to build a relationship, identify individual needs and develop an individual support plan
- Working with the client in matters relating to the criminal justice system
- Liaising and collaborating with other organisations to deliver the best support services and outcome for the client
- Support and advocacy for the clients to access services needed, as well as providing guidance in navigating them
The Illawarra Women’s Health Centre will also provide additional well-being, physical and mental health support.
Please download the referral form by clicking the button below. The completed referral form can be emailed to email@example.com or faxed
to 4255 6899.
Please note there are limited spots in the program.